Consider a scenario where you have to finish a pile of work within a short deadline and are a perfectionist too. You should have the skills to manage and lead your team super efficiently. Break the target into smaller goals and divide the roles across the groups to achieve it practically.
This is precisely what a scrum master does. If you think you have the skills to work better under pressure and link stakeholders, you can apply for the Professional Scrum Master Certification.
This certification labels you as a skilled professional who possesses the skills to manage agile teams and perform product delivery within a deadline without compromising quality. The highlight is that you get global recognition as a professional scrum master with a PSM 1 certification.
As a PSM 1 holder, you are recognized as a professional who understands Scrum and can handle agile teams efficiently to complete a target within a deadline.
We know what Scrum is and what it means to be a PSM-certified professional. Now let’s dive into the details of the professional scrum master certification.
Understanding PSM 1 Certification: all you need to Know
The certification validates your fundamental scrum mastery.
In the course of getting this certification, you get to understand the fundamentals of Scrum and Agile frameworks.
The PSM 1 certification test is based on the competencies of a professional scrum master, such as empiricism, the values and framework of a scrum, setting timelines or events for the agile team, leadership, team management, on-site planning and problem-solving, product vision, stakeholders engagement and so on.
Role of a professional scrum master and its Relevance in Agile product management
A scrum master is responsible for the overall performance of the agile team led by them. They ensure the team is focused and the sprints and events resonate. They guide the team for periodic improvements and organization, facilitate communication, and remove any hindrances creeping into the path of team performance and product delivery. The scrum master is responsible for transparency throughout the process across the team and among stakeholders.
Benefits of obtaining a PSM 1 certification for professionals
- When you prepare for a Professional Scrum Master Certification, you learn the fundamentals like never before. Whether you are a beginner or an expert, you get to stroll through the basics, and that, my friend, is something you will never regret. The bottom line is that it helps both beginners and veterans.
- You get a better pay chart than a non-certified professional.
- You ace all the scrum artefacts that arm you to complete a target within a deadline.
- You develop a growing attitude that helps your team in impossible ways.
- You can make product delivery while keeping the product vision and value in resonance.
- As a corporator, you get recognition and exposure across industries far from the reach of a noncertified professional.
These pointers hold enough reasons for you to get convinced to get a Professional Scrum Master Certification; trust us when we say- there’s no better option.
Eligibility and pre-requisites for PSM 1 certification
There is no strict pre-requisite in terms of qualification. Still, the aspirant is supposed to have at least a bachelor’s degree, preferably in information technology and, apart from that, detailed knowledge of the Scrum guide and the applied knowledge of Scrum and the agile framework is desirable. They are supposed to be aware of the keywords related to Scrum and their significance.
- The PSM 1 exam is a time-bound online test that a candidate has to pass with a minimum score of 85%.
- You are provided 80 multiple-choice questions that must be solved within 60 minutes.
- The PSM 1 certification exam is based on topics like principles, theory and framework of Scrum; scrum roles; definition of ‘done’ in the scrum setup; running a project; agile team management; the role of a scrum master and a few more for which you can read along.
You can attend a two-day csm training course by a certified trainer online. You can research many options and find a class that fits you well in terms of fee, timing and teaching style.
Apart from the course, read through the scrum guide, the scrum glossary and a few agile books and remember to take notes while you read for quick revisions.
Let’s dig deeper and discuss the key topics the PSM 1 certification covers. The test covers the following topics:
1. Introduction to agile principles and scrum framework
You will be tested on how agile principles and scrum framework are distinct and how the two work simultaneously to deliver a product compatible with the market needs and stand the test of value and vision.
2. Roles and responsibilities of a professional scrum master
This is one of the most important topics to be asked in the PSM 1 certification test. You have to be aware of the roles that a scrum master plays, from managing the agile team to setting sprints and keeping up with the stakeholders and delivering product, taking feedback and everything in between.
3. Agile product planning and release management
As a professional, you will be tested on your knowledge and skills regarding the details of agile product planning according to the product vision and keeping the product value on top of the list.
4. Scrum events, artifacts and their significance
The MCQs will be framed around the terminologies of agile and Scrum, the artefacts and their significance.
5. Monitoring and measuring progress in agile project
To get a Professional Scrum Master Certification, you need to know the skills and techniques of monitoring the functioning of the 8an agile team. You have to understand the terms and practices to measure progress too.
6. Collaboration, self-organization, and cross-functional teams in agile
You should expect a few questions covering the issues, such as the terms related to cross-functioning, stakeholders collaboration, and the measures of self-organization.
PSM 1 certification is in the talks for its global relevance and reliability across industries lately. You can read PSM1 and prince2 advantages for more information. A certified professional attracts firms as no one has the time to play hit and trial, at least not in the business scene where product delivery and management are of utmost concern.
A professional scrum master certification stands you out in the crowd of non-certified professionals and paves the way for you to explore new career opportunities. If you are as ambitious as a professional in the corporate world should be, there’s no better option than to get certified as a professional, and PSM1 has to be at the top of your list.